Friday, November 9, 2007

Workmanship of Craftsman

Something that I admire that has come from generations past is a pride in workmanship. For me the purist example of this still present today is Craftsman tools. Each Craftsman tool automatically comes with an unlimited lifetime warranty that lasts as long as the original buyer owns the tool. They have been doing this since 1927. If your grandfather bought a wrench in 1927 and it broke today he would get a new one today. If you by a Craftsman tool the only reason you would ever buy that tool again would be if yours was lost or stolen.

The funny thing about the warranty is that it is all but rendered useless by the high quality of their tools. I have never heard of the need to return a Craftsman tool, and everybody uses them. I have literally never even heard a farfetched myth that a Craftsman tool has ever broken. These tools have outlasted their original owners. They get traded and sold at yard sales, swap meets and car shows.

At times, I wonder if it were not for the fast growing population Craftsman’s fine workmanship would soon push them into bankruptcy. You would think a set of tools would just be passed from one generation to the next. It does not happen that way. No one wants to part with their tools.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hector this is so true! My Dad has so many Craftsman tools. And I hope to have them someday. They are amazing. I use them all the time for my stuff. and you raise an interesting question: how do they stay in business when their stuff is such high quality we could just be handing them down from generation to generation?